Tai chi exercises must be done consistently to be beneficial
Tuesday, 28 February 2012
As winter draws to its close, people may be reflecting on how well they've kept up with their New Year's resolutions. If you resolved to join Dahn Yoga and tai chi classes, you probably found a community to help support you in your goals for physical fitness. Kudos to you, because as most exercise experts will tell you, consistency in tai chi exercises or other physical activities is essential to reaping the benefits!
Melissa Bagnall, a certified personal trainer, wrote an article for the Victoria Advocate, listing 10 benefits of consistent exercise.
1. Better immune system. Physical activity can stimulate white blood cells to fight infection.
2. Improved cognition. Exercise supports healthy circulation of oxygen and nutrients to the brain.
3. Preventing chronic disease. Blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar can all be maintained within healthy levels by exercise.
4. Optimal weight. This is important, considering one-third of Americans are obese.
5. Better mood. Endorphins are often released even after just a few minutes of exercise.
6. Stronger bones. Weight-bearing exercises today can cut the chances of fractures down the line.
7. Stress management. Activities that provide relaxation, such as yoga and tai chi, can reduce chronically high levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
8. Restful sleep. Exercise help you sleep faster, but it can take 16 weeks for this effect to kick in.
9. Healthy aging. The mitochondria that power your cells become more efficient at their jobs because of exercise.
10. Improvements in balance and flexibility. Yoga and tai chi can help prevent injuries from accidental falls.